Saturday, 28 May 2011

A Moment for Migraine!

I woke this morning with a migraine, I realised I was getting one when I plugged the iron in to dry my hair :p  Still would have saved me getting the straighteners out??! lol :)  So this evening I was thinking about how much my migraine has changed with the different meds I am on now and with the absence of the migraine aura, its not always easy to know if you are going into one untill perhaps you have got in the car or already on a bus etc. 

I know there are several different types of migraine and not everyone gets aura but generally there are signs, aura, pain, numbness etc but I am not liking this and though the usual signs are never pleasant, mine are becoming a little dangerous especially when I am on my own lol! 

The migraine I am having now are really strange because though all the symptoms are far milder with no aura and no pain mostly, a lot have been replaced with absent mindedness and an inability to focus leading to real confusion.  I once actually stood frozen to the spot a couple of minutes, not actually knowing who or where I was, that was one of the most frightening experiences I have ever had.  I also once had two people I knew very well with me but could not recognise their faces but knew they were the voices, I therefore wouldn't believe it was definitely them :p 

I was taken for scans etc at that point just to ensure there was nothing more going on.  So now I experience this room spinning dizziness which is quite hard to deal with, also tingling sensation over my fingertips, toes and mouth.  I don't have pain but this dreadful tightening in my jaw, neck and top of the head.  I also get heightened vision and hearing, everything looks brighter and sound is much clearer and louder.  I still get the nausea but not so bad.Of course there is trying to iron my hair, blow dry my clothes next? haha!  I have put coffee in the fridge, left the milk out, forget to turn things off and left the house, or even forget to lock up sometimes and my speach is so confused I think people might wonder what I have taken :p lol   I know some of my triggers are wine (which thankfully I don't like), sudden noise like fire alarms, strong smells such as paint or floor varnish, cheese (sorry but I love it :p) and one of my biggest triggers is a thunder storm, almost like a pressure in the air I feel before the storm starts. 

So anyway, I thought I would come and take a look on the web to see if others were experiencing the same and found the most interesting video of someone simulating what a migraine aura looks like.  Its almost the same as mine but I experience the flashing a lot wider and mine always end with a kind of black hole in my vision, once the aura has disappeared, this black hole means I always have a part of the picture missing.  So for instance if I am looking directly at my hand then I may be unable to see two or three of my fingers.  I want to link this because I often have people ask me what I see when I get aura and this is really close to it. 

Well I hope I don't check back on this tomorrow and find I have rewritten the story of "Little Red Riding Hood" or something?! lmao :)