Monday, 19 March 2012

Reflection on the Imagination

I remember as a young child looking up at the clouds with my Grandma and her saying "If you look real hard, you can find things in the clouds".  Suddenly, those clouds would turn into a little boat sailing on the ocean, a huge fat snowman with a tall hat, a beautiful angel with wings spread wide or a delicious ice cream that would make my mouth water just thinking how delicious it would taste.  When the rain would lash down and bounce on the pavement my Grandpa would say, "those are heavens soldiers bouncing down onto the earth there, they are clearing the ground for us".  I would see those tiny transparent soldiers smashing their way through all manner of germs keeping the ground safe for us to play and walk on.  I remember slowly gliding along on my families narrow boat and the grass vines being pulled into the water with changing current as the boat passed "Look they are bowing low to say hello to you as we pass by". Those vines would appear as tall earthlike creatures to me, tipping their hats and bowing low as they said hello and told me to have a great trip. 

Playing games as a small child, a Princess running around in a castle with huge stone walls, candelabras hanging from the ceiling with beautiful crystals hanging from them.  Wearing a beautiful dress made from satin and silk which I could feel and hear swishing as I walked and ran.  A table full of the most delicious food that I could taste with each mouthful being one of my favourite foods.

I was blessed with many family members that encouraged and developed a healthy and wonderful sense of imagination in me.  Its such ashame that so many of us lose that ability as we grow into adulthood.  Whilst I don't go playing Princess's in castles anymore, I still allow my imagination to run wild when I am in a position to do so.  I can still see that boat sailing across the sky, feel and taste the chocolate icecream that comes floating down to me from the sky. 

I can stand beside a huge waterfall, with a beautiful white unicorn grazing amongst the many coloured flowers that appear, watch the tiny little faeries skimming across the lake that just sprang from the waterfall, follow the rocky path above the fall to see the cleansing snow topped mountains.  I can sit on the emerald green grass, sheltered by tall tees with glistening green and yellow leaves and feel the sun's warmth on my body and feel the spray from the water bouncing down into the lake.

Imagination, is a beautiful thing we all posess, it can take us to so many places and experiences, sets our creative juices flowing abundandtly.  What a wonderful imagination our artists, musicians, writers etc must experience.

As a single woman, one of the things I dislike most is not having someone to say goodnight to before going to bed and the reason for this post is that I was thinking about that and just remembered going to see my Grandma not long before she left us.  Her words to me were "You see those tiny little pink flowers there on that plant, at night they turn into beautiful faeries, they dance and sing to me at the bottom of my bed, they come to say goodnight and help me to sleep".  Thank you Grandma :)